Thursday, May 27, 2010

Good Conference in Salinas

The East of Eden writers conference is a two day plus Sunday writers conference put on by South Bay Writers. It will cost a little money and you may need a motel to stay at if you don't commute there, but I've always found it well worth the price of admission. You can pitch your novel to an actual agent besides a meriade of classes and such. A gala dinner with key-note speakers comes with it. Last time, I ate dinner with another agent (other than the official one I met earlier). Both were very interested in my novel. Do preactice your pitch on your project before you get there. You have maybe 45 seconds to make your first good impression.

I especially recommend it if you're a serious writer and early-to-intermediate on your learning curve, though there will be plenty of veterans there, too. Not to be missed. This link gives more info and a place to register using PayPal or by check.

Join the short story contest (or poetry or novel contests). Get your name and face out there. Maybe I'll see you there.