Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Help from Shoshone Indians

I'd like to make contact with Shoshone Indian(s) interested in telling short, true vignettes (stories) of how discrimination or perceived discrimination was manifested and affected your life. I am a white person (Irish descent) writing a novel set in the 1950s in Western-Shoshone Indian Reservation (Ta-Moak Band) 26 miles south of Elko, Nevada, on the west side of the Ruby Mountains. Comments don't need to be from people in that area; I'm just sharing details of my project so you know what I am about.

My objective is to improve my novel, allow for good guys and bad guys to be both white men and Indians, like real life, without becoming ridiculously stereotypical.

I'd like to get religious information, especially with regards to stories of how newe (the people -- -- the Shoshone Indian people) came on earth many generations ago and the role of animals as having special powers (like gods). Perhaps you recall any old Indian traditions handed-down that you remember grandma doing to help someone who was sick, perhaps a medicine men in the tribe, odd characters, outstanding chiefs, etc.

One of my goals is to stay realistic, have an exciting new adventure, and crafting a novel that will not be dismissed because it has unrealistic political bias. I feel I am unbiased and want to check on that. This is ranch country and people who ride horses on dirt roads as easily as driving the old pickup that needs the battery charged every morning in winter, perhaps with no electricity to their ranch or trailer.

Serious volunteers can read parts of my book and, hopefully, tell me which parts are okay and which parts make their skin crawl. Thanks for any help. I've been married in the past to a Shoshone woman and knew people on the "South Fork" Reservation quite well, but have minimal day-to-day contact with them. My nephews live there. I've harvested hay manually with them a few times, and some of my favorite people live there.

Am also curious about details of Tribal Council meetings. Please answer to this blog so I can score some "followers." Or you may choose to contact me at my e-mail: richard.a.burns@comcast.net. Thanks again for any help.

Richard A. Burns, novelist, author of unpublished novel, Sagebrush Charlie at Seven Trout Creek.

No comments: